Data Engineer (EE) at Datafin Recruitment
ENVIRONMENT: The technical and analytical expertise of a data engineer is sought after by an innovative investment firm where your main role will be to work autonomously and translate complex business requirements into tangible deliverables, while being equally at comfortable interacting directly with stakeholders. It will also be possible to develop the platform and data architectures to facilitate future data science and analytics projects, both on-premises and in the cloud. You must have a relevant bachelor’s degree with a strong academic record, at least 2 years of practical work experience in a similar role, computer training or similar, Python / R skills, knowledge of microservices, SOLID, Scrum, Kanban , familiar with DevOps concepts such as CI / CD APIs and infrastructure-as-code and backend development, messaging, multithreaded systems and planning. Please note that this is an EE role.FUNCTIONS:
- Develop and maintain robust data pipelines capable of handling terabytes of data.
- Collaborate with sales teams to perform complex data analyzes and build predictive models.
- Identify, design and implement process improvements through automation and the evolution of systems and the technology stack.
- Develop web applications, tools and internal frameworks to facilitate and monitor the above tasks.
- Advocate for best practices in process and software development.
- Help guide technical leadership through design discussions, code reviews, and technical presentations.
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other development teams.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject with an exceptional academic record.
Experience / skills
- At least 2 years of practical experience in a similar position.
- CS background or similar.
- Experience in a language with a large data science community (eg Python or R).
- Knowledge of common software architectures and development models and practices (e.g. Microservices, SOLID)
- Software development life cycle (eg Scrum or Kanban) from initial specifications to maintenance and support.
- Backend development (eg API, messaging, multithreaded systems, planning).
- Basic familiarity with DevOps concepts (e.g. infrastructure-as-code, CI / CD).
Experience wanted –
- Knowledge of the field in Asset Management.
- Cloud-based infrastructure and services (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Continuous integration / deployment workflows and tools (eg Gitlab).
- Development of SQL and NoSQL databases (eg SQL Server, MongoDB).
- Containers and container orchestration (eg Docker, Kubernetes).
- Cluster IT frameworks (eg, Spark, Hadoop).
- Business Intelligence tools (eg Power BI, Qlik).
- Data manipulation frameworks (for example, pandas in Python).
- Machine learning frameworks (eg TensorFlow, scikit-learn).
- Data visualization (for example, plotly, matplotlib).
- Modern web development (React, Angular or similar).
- Automated tests (unit tests and higher level test frameworks).
- Caring and collaborative member of a team.
- Eager to innovate and experiment with new technologies.
- Systematic and logical decision-maker.
- Enthusiastic about providing high quality, reliable systems.
- Eager to learn from their colleagues and share their knowledge in return.
While we would really love to respond to every application, if you are not contacted for this position within 10 business days, please consider your application unsuccessful.COMMENTS: When applying for jobs, make sure you have the minimum requirements for the job. OnlyCitizens of South Africa will be considered for this role. If you are not at the location listed for any of the jobs, please note your relocation plans in all job applications and correspondence. Please send a Word copy of your CV to [Email Address Removed] and mention the reference numbers of the jobs. We have a list of jobs on [URL Removed] Datafin IT Recruitment – Jobs in Cape Town.